The audit community’s adoption of electronic working papers to encourage collaboration has had an unintended consequence of creating dark data. That is, data trapped within these new documents, making it challenging to efficiently search, reference, analyze, export, report on or access on mobile devices.
Fortunately, audit management software can help.
Intuitive audit management software can access and analyze almost all audit data — no matter how dark it may seem — and prove the true value of the audit function in the process. Here are eight more ways audit management software can enhance your approach to audits.
Features of the best audit management software for public sector
1. It improves the efficiency of audit fieldworkAudit management software consolidates everything you need in one centralized location. This can boost your productivity because you’ll have clear structure around audit procedures to efficiently guide staff, avoid confusion and focus only on the most important insights. Since the software can shorten the time it takes to conduct audits, you’ll have more time to collaborate with your team, prioritize audits by risk level and create more value for your organization.
2. It creates consistency between auditsDocuments lack structure, which means your teams could follow different approaches across different audits. When you shift audit work out of documents and into audit software, you’ll instantly have a structured methodology and audit program that your teams can easily follow. This creates a comprehensive view of all audits that your team can lean on to pursue value-added work while you consistently report up to your leaders.
3. It elevates the quality of audit insightsOrganization is key. A solid audit structure makes data usable because you can sort and analyze it, no matter how many data points you’re working with. Advanced audit software can report on and analyze audit information across audit projects and teams, opening up higher-quality, higher-level and deeper root-cause insights. These insights will put your organization on a path toward data-driven, more strategic decision-making.
4. It increases the speed of insight deliveryStop waiting for quarterly or semiannual audit packages to compile and deliver results. With audit management software, you can assess your organization in real time. You’ll be able to present efficiency-enhancing opportunities for programs to the audit committee, as well as leaders, demonstrating the value of your audit team and creating value for your organization as a whole.
5. It enhances the ability to present high-impact reportingEffective reporting is all about telling an impactful story. Audit management software features intuitive, interactive dashboards and visualizations so you can present insights, rather than sending off data-laden, manually compiled reports. Use audit management software to showcase the most valuable insights from every audit, so leaders can quickly identify and act on critical learnings.
6. It makes audit roll-forward easier and less invasiveConducting a manual audit can feel tedious — but it doesn’t have to be. One-click roll forwards are standard in many audit software platforms to update embedded links without having to enter those documents individually. Because this function can run in the background, you’ll have more time to analyze your findings and present them to the executive team and other stakeholders.
7. It enhances audit automationTake an “edit once, updated everywhere” approach. Audit software can automatically find and update key information, so you don’t have to find the outdated information in individual documents — or risk missing it altogether. You can also automate your audit processes and analysis of key data and information. Get off the hamster wheel and, instead, set up audits and reporting once. Then let the data roll in on repeat.
8. It helps with administrative and IT-related burdens
Audits aren’t all analyzing and reporting. There are also serious administrative and IT-related burdens that take a lot of your time, but can also pose a serious risk if not done well. The right audit-management software can minimize technical issues associated with IT installations and software upgrades, ensure data is both exportable and transferable, as well as make it accessible on any device.
Find out how Audit Management from Diligent can help your audit team move toward a future of increased transparency and greater efficiency.